SHARE:      
LOGIN
  • La masseria Amastuola
    The Farm
    The Amastuola farm is situated on a plateau, 210 meters above sea level, near Crispiano and is surrounded by about 170 hectares of land, mostly planted in vineyards with olive trees and stone walls.
    It is within an area with farms since the late medieval age; bounded to the north with places where there were found the precious "Ori di Taranto" to the south with the necropolis of Accetta, and only few kilometers from the famous Paleolithic Dolmens of Accetta and ravine of Amastuola; to the east with the naturalistic show of ravine of Triglie.
    The farm is part of the Regional Park "Terra delle Gravine." The surrounding area is rich of natural vegetation, you can find maritime pines, rosemary, thyme, wild strawberry and blackberry, country rose, “Calaprice” - that create all around a set of fragrances and aromas. The area, historically agricultural, is characterized by the cultivation of vines since ancient times. During the last archaeological excavations have been found signs of vines, from seeds to Greek wine amphorae. The area is also rich in water, as well shows the aqueduct of Triglio, that can be dated back to the ancient Romans.
    Ingresso Agriturismo Amastuola
    The receptivity in Masseria
    Amastuola farm is being refurbished and will soon be an agricultural tourism centre accessible by the public. The conservative style of restoration being used on the main body of the farm will respect the use of traditional materials. Within the building there will be, two tasting rooms, a cellar, a library and a restaurant where it will be possible to enjoy the taste of Amastuola’s organic wines with a number of Puglia’s more traditional dishes. Inside the ancient church, a small ‘Magna Graecia’ museum where artifacts from the "Guarini" collection, owned by the KIKAU group for several years, will be on display. Inside the old stables, a conference room for events and business meetings will be built. There will be 19 reception rooms built in part on the first floor of the main building of the farm, and the rest on the ground floor in an area originally used as a sheep pen. Extreme care and attention to detail has been exercised in order to give to the vineyard a structure destined to become, in tourism and culture terms, a point of reference in Puglia, and give the visitors to the vineyard, the possibility to enjoy the unique magic of Amastuola.
    Masseria Amatuola
    History of the Farm
    The first document in which the Masseria appears is a goods inventory belonging to Giovanni Antonio Orsini, Prince of Taranto, drawn up in the first half of the 15th Century, in which is marked all the property of the Italian-Greek Abbey of San Vito Pizzo in Taranto. In the year 1500 the farm was granted a perpetual lease and then sold to Giovanni Vincenzo Ferrandinò who enlarged it, and also acquired the surrounding public lands. In 1652 Ferrandinò sold the farm for 2,000 ducats to Andrea D'Afflitto, a cleric from Taranto.
    The farm experienced its largest territorial expansion and its greatest prosperity in the eighteenth century, when it included part of the "Lo Sperduto" village (which included the lands of the Accetta, Scardino, and San Giovanni farms) and "Arecupo", that the D’Afflitto family received the right to use in 1699 by Mayor Domenico Antonio Broja of the University of Massafra, for an annual income of only 6 “Carlini”. This last area was removed from the Massafra’s public domain. Later the farm passed to Diego D'Afflitto, who squandered large sums of money in gambling, but it then went through a period of revival and prosperity when it passed to Andrea D'Afflitto Junior, who modernised the facilities introducing new crops and adding new buildings, such as a sheep pen and an olive oil ‘mill’. In 1773 D’Afflitto gave his entire fortune to Saverio D'Ajala from Taranto, in exchange for an annual living allowance of 1,200 ducats, in order to pay back the generosity with which he had supported the family in times of crisis.
    Having rethought the decision, D’Afflitto tried to regain possession of the property through the court, but despite the Court’s seizure of the farm and despite it being in his wil, the farm was left to the D'Ajala family until the middle of the 20th Century. Since 2003, the farm has been owned by the KIKAU Group, and is the property of Montanaro family from Massafra. (Historical research by Prof. Cosimo Mottolese)
    Greci ed indigeni ad Amastuola
    Greci e indigeni a L’Amastuola
    The agricultural history and the viticulture vocation of the area where is placed the farm Amastuola can be dated to the Magna Graecia Age, as evidenced by decades of archaeological investigations carried out on its land. The Greeks would have arrived by sea, then across a couple of miles to the source of the river Tara. From this area of spring water, nowadays still bathing, but at that time surrounded by marshes, the Greeks walking for another couple of miles, reached the plateau of Amastuola where they settled. Archaeological excavations have found a site from Magna Graecia Age, surrounded by an agger.
    Since 2003, the year in which the farm has been purchased by one of the companies of Montanaro’s family, researches and excavations were supported continuing on an annual basis on the total area under the control of the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Puglia by the Centre for Archaeology of the University of Amsterdam, with the application not-invasive techniques (such as geophysical and geoarchaeological surveys) and analysis of botanical specimens. Recently has been edited a book by Gert-Jan Burgers and Jan Paul Crielaard with the title "Greci e indigeni a L’Amastuola" that presents the results of research and studies.
    This website uses cookies to give you a better experience. If you are using this site you consent to the cookies